web analytics
We are both working Mums, and both love the sea. We have sooooo much in common!

I’m like a supermodel

We have a lot in common, Elle MacPherson and I.

We are both working Mums and both love the sea. We have sooooo much in common!

A lot!

It’s the little things.. like…knickers… I like wearing hers, she likes me paying to wear hers. And believe me they’re expensive over here. (Oh how I miss the Bendon outlet shop in East Tamaki. Miss you ladies. Mwah!)

Then of course there’s the obvious stuff, we’re both attractive women – my beauty is internal, hers is more of an external in-your-face-kind-of-thing – but it’s a subtle difference. Like grey is to black!

We’re both in our forties, we both come from Down Under and now live ‘Up Top’. We both have kids and careers. You could argue her career is pretty much being the poster woman for the yummy school gate mummy, but we won’t let such minor differences come between us.

The similarities are, after all, too compelling.

I gather that being a supermodel means Elle subscribes to the whole Naomi paradigm of  ‘never getting out of bed for less than £10,000 per day’.

We have that sentiment in common too. If I earnt anywhere near just £5000 per day I wouldn’t be getting out of bed at all! I have at least 18 years of parenting initiated sleep depravation to catch up on.

We both hate birthdays, though you could say we both look younger than our years – she’s 47 and I’m 44.  We both love the sea, both love the waves, and both love animals.

There is one little weeny thing you can’t say we have in common. It’s so little you could almost miss it. In fact I nearly did. I’m so used to people pointing out that Elle is the poster girl for the modern successful businesswoman. The point-to for a brain-is-sexy role model. When I remind the male fan that she is better known as The Body, than The Brain, he typically smiles and retorts ‘see beautiful women can be smart’.

Yeah.

About that….

But can they be kind?

I almost missed this news released late last year in the shadow of a series of newspaper articles claiming Elle’s still got The Body looks, and how smart she is as a business woman. It was a small piece from the Leveson Inquiry, pointing out how Elle first forced her long term personal assistant into rehab and then subsequently fired her, after suspecting the woman leaked personal information to the media.

Of course, Mary-Ellen Field hadn’t been blabbing, someone from the News of the World had been intercepting Elle’s voicemail messages.

And the rehab centre wasn’t a walk in the park, but rather a grade one psychiatric facility in the Arizona desert, patrolled by armed guards.

You see that’s where the similarities between Elle and I end and that’s where I get off the admiration train. I believe that women in business don’t have to have balls of steel to get on. I don’t believe that they need to become modern Lady Macbeths, to unsex themselves and fill up with ‘direst cruelty’ to be successful in a masculine business world. (Macbeth Act 1 scene 5 38-43)

I’m not ashamed of having the mind, body and heart, of a woman – at home as well as at work.

Sorry Elle, but I won’t be lauding your example as a successful businesswoman any more, but if it’s still ok with you, I still want to get into your knickers.

Vegemitevix is the story of a crazy Kiwi travel blogger and expat Mum who swapped Vegemite for Marmite, Pavlova for Pork Pies, and beautiful beaches for Blighty all for the love of an Englishman she met in Paris. Now back in New Zealand Vegemitevix blogs about travel, expat life, parenting teenagers and how to blog. Please follow on Google + my Google Profile+.

'I’m like a supermodel' has 562 comments

1. April 18, 2012 @ 5:57 pm Expat Mum

I read somewhere recently that Heidi Klum was a bit like that too – but since I can’t remember who said it, I shouldn’t really have made the comment. Oh well. The one I’d like to see really lose it with someone is Gwyneth Paltrow. Now I bet that would be scary!

• April 18, 2012 @ 11:07 pm vegemitevix

That would be interesting. That’s food for thought that is. Though as we’re talking Gwennie I guess that food would be a whole heap of macrobiotic banana shakes. Angry ones.

2. April 18, 2012 @ 7:12 pm Steve

I’d take you over Elle any day!

• April 18, 2012 @ 11:07 pm vegemitevix

Aww thanks Steve, but where would you take me? Somewhere far far away from all this?

3. April 18, 2012 @ 8:42 pm rachel selby

I always thought of Elle whenever I visited your blog or tweeted with you – the similarities were just so amazingly out there. However, I now see that you are really quite different in character. Appearances can be so deceptive.

• April 18, 2012 @ 8:44 pm MidlifeSinglemum

That was me – Midlife Singlemum btw. Disqus is being difficult.

• April 18, 2012 @ 10:18 pm Tyler Hayes

Sorry to hear our system is being difficult. Would you kindly shoot us a message at http://disqus.com/support with the details? We’re happy to lend a hand.

• April 18, 2012 @ 11:08 pm vegemitevix

Thanks Tyer, what great customer service from Disqus. It was Midlife Singlemum who was having the probs, I haven’t noticed anything at this end. Cheers Vix x

• April 18, 2012 @ 11:19 pm Tyler Hayes

Good to know, thanks. If you do ever have any questions or thoughts feel free to reach out.

• April 19, 2012 @ 9:58 am MidlifeSinglemum

I was having problems registering as Ml Sm as I’d forgotten which option to choose. It was me not disqus. I’m very impressed with the customer service though (I got an email asking what the problem was) – thank you.

• April 19, 2012 @ 10:09 am Tyler Hayes

You’re welcome. Just happy to help, and glad to hear you were able to get to the bottom of this. If we can ever lend a hand with anything else don’t hesitate to let us know.

• April 18, 2012 @ 11:09 pm vegemitevix

I love this comment! See I’m going to bed with a smile after reading this. x

4. April 18, 2012 @ 8:43 pm Mummy Mania

You’re a legend!  Great post – and let’s face it…. Elle looks like she’s dull as dishwater….. you, on the other hand, are a riot!  Enjoy the knickers!

• April 18, 2012 @ 11:10 pm vegemitevix

Thanks so very much! Oh yeah the knickers are really worth it, but the bras… oh they are simply the best for us bosomy girls. Thanks for your comment really made me smile. xx

5. April 18, 2012 @ 9:26 pm veryboredincatalunya

I totally went of Elle MacPherson whilst watching the last series of Britain Next Top Model, not only did she always wear her sunnies inside, she constantly stood in model poses throughout, never natural.

• April 18, 2012 @ 11:10 pm vegemitevix

I always wonder if people who wear sunnies inside bump into things. As for model poses, they look way too much like a bad case of piles IMHO. x

6. April 19, 2012 @ 11:34 am Muddling Along

Great post Vix – written about this before but reckon the big thing our generation of working women needs to do is show you don’t have to be a bitch to be the boss

• April 19, 2012 @ 11:37 am vegemitevix

Yup that’s what I’m on about. I absolutely agree.

7. April 20, 2012 @ 12:27 pm ScienceSparks

Ha ha that made me laugh! I’d rather have a brain than a body any day! :-)

• April 22, 2012 @ 5:52 pm vegemitevix